Monday, December 15, 2008

December 16, 1:15 PM in Changsha, Hunan Province

Adoption Day!! It was final at about 10:30 this morning. We are Huiying's parents and she is our daughter! I can hardly believe it as I write the words. She and Craig are both napping now so I'm taking this opportunity to write a brief update.

Yesterday was pretty traumatic. Ying Ying cried like a wild thing when the orphanage workers left her with us yesterday morning and again in the van the whole way back to the hotel with her arms and legs flailing. She was with us for 8 or 9 hours before she would allow her snow suit to be unbuttoned. She must have been sweltering because it is already quite warm in our room, but she was too scared to tolerate any changes. She fell asleep standing up and fell over, but she screamed when we made any attempt to put her on a bed or in the crib or make a nest of pillows and blankets on the floor. I finally went to the children's playroom on our floor and borrowed a little wheeled chair that is designed for children who can't yet walk. She allowed us to put her in that, and she proceeded to nap for 2 hours. She ate some noodle soup and drank a yogurt drink and went to bed at 9 PM. She slept through the night. Yea!

Today has been better. We had to go back to the civil affairs office to finalize the adoption today and the orphanage workers were there. I was worried that it would be very difficult for her to see them, but I really wanted her to hear them say goodbye and give her their good wishes because I think it is important for her in the transition. I held her in the hip carrier the whole time, and everything went well. She didn't become upset about anything and is showing a lot more interest in the things that are going on around her. The 4 1/2 year old son of the other family that is here with our agency got her to smile, so we know it is possible, but we have not been successful yet. Craig did get a half smile from her today, but it was just a brief flash.

I'm going to sort through the pictures on the camera now and hope to get some onto the blog soon.

5 comments:

Leigh Meers Harper said...

Congratulations - it's a GIRL!

Merry Christmas! Yeah!!

Leigh

Sandy Hackett said...

Oh Karen. What a day! And you are now her mom, which is amazing. Celebrations and prayers for you all!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mom and Dad!!!
It looks cold there. It's 19 degrees in Seattle and more snow is expected.
She is a very lucky girl to have two wonderful people travel around the world to find her. I know Craig will get her to smile.
I can't wait to meet her.
Love,
Vanessa

Amy Delaney said...

Congratulations Mom, Dad & Grandma -- and welcome HuiYing! We are so very excited for your new family :)

Unknown said...

that is so awesome! she'll be a bit better everyday...
hugs &kisses!
max